Here’s a few suggestions for the producers, since they’re actually taking fan feedback. Because yes, I’m a Jem fan.
- Don’t make it all modern. People like the kitsch aspect of the cartoon. Keep it 80’s-ish. Embrace the pastel palette. In fact, think of it as the opposite of Sin City. Everything that movie did, you do the opposite. So don’t hire Bruce Willis this time.
- Jem doesn’t make sense. That’s why people like the show. The first episode I ever saw had a Vietnamese girl throwing herself voluntarily in a cage with tigers.
- Don’t focus too much on the origins. It’s Jem.
- Keep the musician lookalikes like Lena Lerner. In fact, you should even hire real lookalikes just for the fun of it.
- Dare! Be bold, crazy and cheesy. Make it feel like a big budget (and family friendly) version of a Tim & Eric episode or like Xanadu.
If you do all these things, you will make a true cult classic.